Department Statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Message to Student-Athletes:
Youngstown State University’s Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is committed to supporting our student-athletes.
At YSU, and everywhere, it is our responsibility to care, listen and understand that together we can have an impact on so many people. Our mission has always been to provide a climate of mutual respect where our students can be successful in their daily lives. Despite challenges facing us today, we stand together, united in support of social justice and equality.
To provide additional support and a platform for discussion, we are working to schedule a forum to create a safe space for all student-athletes, and our staff, to participate in this conversation with members of our local community and we truly welcome your participation. Information on the meeting will be sent in a later email.
You have our utmost respect and we are so proud of each and every one of you.
Executive Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
Band Together, Let's Talk About It
- YSU Athletics hosts a discussion regarding racial injustice. More information is available at: https://ysusports.com/information/dei/weekly-zoom
Diversity Equity and Inclusion Committee Goals
Human Resource/Policy Review Subcommittee
- Tasked with developing hiring practices that ensure a diverse applicant pool
- Tasked with reviewing department policies and procedures to ensure equity among students and staff
Student-Athlete Education Subcommittee
- Tasked with developing a comprehensive SA education plan for 2020-21 covering diversity and inclusion education
- Tasked with determine education and awareness that directly addresses concerns over the election and the racial tension dividing us
Staff Education and Professional Development Subcommittee
- Tasked with developing a comprehensive education plan for staff
- Tasked with providing professional development opportunity plan (ex: required/optional/monthly/quarterly/yearly)
Campus and Community Engagement Subcommittee
- Tasked with developing a plan to engage strategically with campus and community in order to promote and support diversity and inclusion