Due to COVID -19, Youngstown State cheerleading tryouts will be postponed to a later date. As of now we do not have a date rescheduled but will continue to update as more information becomes available . Please email the coaches your name and high school and we will let you know as soon as we can of any updates. - Michelle and Jenna
- Cheerleading Application
- Tryout Waiver
- Physical Form (You will not be able to tryout without a physical within the last 6 months. Bring your physical form to tryouts at YSU. Please make sure the physical is done on the YSU form.
- 2019-20 YSU Cheerleaders Roster
The Youngstown State spirit squads tryout participants must be enrolled as a full-time YSU student for the 2020 fall semester to be eligible to try out.
This tryout is for males and females who are current full-time YSU students or high-school seniors who are planning to enroll at YSU in the fall. All current YSU students who attend the tryout must be in good academic standing.
The mandatory requirements for females are listed below.
Members of the team cheer at all home Football games, home Men's & Women's Basketball games and will travel based on community service hours and seat availability to a select few games.
- Toe touch, Double Toe touch, Herkie and Pike jump
- Sideline cheers taught that day
- The YSU Fight Song taught at tryouts
- Partner and quad stunting - no experience needed/taught at tryouts
- Tumbling - You must be able to tumble in order to tryout (Females Only)
- Unspotted round-off backhandspring
- Unspotted standing backhandspring
There will be a mat at tryouts but expected to perform on gym floor as well.
Other items to be aware of before entering tryout week:
- Cheerleading is a full-year commitment from Tryouts until the following year's tryout.
- Current YSU candidates must be considered full time (12 hours) and in good academic standing
- High school seniors must be a full-time student (12 hours) in Fall 2020
- Practice schedule for summer and school year is twice a week
- You are only excused from two summer practices. (EXCUSED meaning: illness, vacations, birthdays or personal time). After two missed practice, you can be removed from the team.
For more information contact Coaches:
Michelle Markota: Mlmarkota@ysu.edu
Jenna Schneider: firstname.lastname@example.org