We all have had people in our lives that have gone before us and built a pathway that helped us. One of the greatest gifts we can give is the ability to build a bridge for someone to pass the same way we have without having to endure the same struggles. Our current student-athletes are impacted by those who came before them, and the Penguin Bridge Builders is a unique group to unite former student-athletes who know what a privilege it is to wear the Red & White.
The Penguin Bridge Builders began in 2019 as an organization that would honor those that paved the way for current YSU student-athletes. The genesis of the name comes from a well-known poem in the philanthropic community, “The Bridge Builder” written by Will Allen Dromgoole. This poem serves to remind people of the bridges people have built, not for themselves, but for others. The bridge also has relevance to YSU in that during our University’s centennial celebration, the “Old Stone Bridge” on campus was restored because “like YSU itself, the bridge represents tradition and strength” and “with its revival, the bridge allows us to reflect on the University’s proud past and look forward to a promising future.”
Join the Excitement!
The goal of the Penguin Bridge Builders is to have our former student-athletes come back to campus and be a part of our continued successes. The nominal annual membership fee of $33 is to commemorate the year (1933-34) that the Penguin nickname was adopted at the then Youngstown College. This membership not only supports the general athletic scholarship fund, but it also leaves a lasting legacy and builds the bridge for those who come after you. The Penguin Bridge Builders also provides a platform to reconnect with fellow student-athletes through reunions, pregame activities, unique events and social interaction. For the 2020-21 academic year, there will be a YSU Student-Athlete Alumni Tailgate party on Sept. 26 before the YSU Football team’s game against North Dakota.
In an effort to expand opportunities for former student-athlete engagement, the Penguin Bridge Builders will now recognize all former student-athletes who contribute $33 or more to the Penguin Bridge Builders. Membership for 2020-21 includes:
- Two passes for the Student-Athlete Alumni Tailgate party on Sept. 26 (includes food and drink and is in conjunction with the YSU Football Alumni Club’s Tailgate Blast which has exceeded 300 guests the last few years)
- Two reserved tickets for the Sept. 26 football game versus North Dakota
- Penguin Bridge Builder membership certificate and frame
How does the Penguin Bridge Builders Support YSU Athletics?
- Your GIFT supports YSU student-athlete scholarships.
- Your GIFT serves as an investment in YSU Athletics.
- Creates a society of former student-athletes for networking, mentoring, and reconnecting with one another.
- Enhances budgets for team travel, recruiting funds and additional equipment and provides for other upgrades not supported by the Athletic Department’s budget.