Posted: Dec 03, 2019
|Youngstown State vs. Robert Morris|
|Date & Time||Wednesday, Dec. 4 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Radio||570 WKBN |IHeart Radio|
|TV||ESPN3 | WatchESPN|
|Game Notes||YSU Notes | RMU Notes|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team returns home for its first game in the month of December when it hosts Robert Morris, Wednesday, Dec. 4, at Beeghly Center.
• Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN, ESPN3, and WatchESPN App.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his third year at Youngstown State and his eighth season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 148-86 overall and is 24-48 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
Andy Toole is in his 10th seasons as head coach of Robert Morrios and he owns a career record of 160-147. During Toole's tenure, the Colonials have claimed two NEC regular-season championships (2013, 2014), appeared in four NEC Tournament championship games (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015) and have made five national postseason appearances. Toole has led Robert Morris to a pair of appearances in the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) (2014, 2015), two appearances in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (2012, 2019) and an automatic bid to the 2015 NCAA Tournament.
• This is the 20th meeting between Youngstown State and Robert Morris in a series that dates back to 1989.
• The Colonials own an 11-8 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last two contests.
• Youngstown State is coming off an 88-72 loss at Central Michigan on Nov. 30.
• Senior Donel Cathcart III led the Penguins with 18 points while junior Michael Akuchie added 14 points.
•Junior Naz Bohannon grabbed a season-high 16 rebounds against CMU.
• Youngstown State is 3-0 at home this season.
• The Penguins posted their first road win of the season after a 66-61 victory at USC-Upstate on Nov. 23.
• Sophomore Darius Quisenberry led three players scoring in double figures with 22 points.
• Quisenberry tied a school record with 15 made free throws and set the school mark for free-throw attempts with 20.
• Sophomore Jelani Simmons had 12 points and junior Michael Akuchie recorded the first doubled-double of his career with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
• Junior Naz Bohannon posted his first double-double of the season and the eighth of his career with a career-high 19 points and 11 rebounds in a 66-60 win over NC Central on Nov. 19.
• Sophomore Darius Quisenberry scored 17 points while sophomore Geoff Hamperian poured in a career-high 14 points.
• YSU returns all five starters and 10 letterwinners from last season.
• The Penguins return 77.9 percent of their scoring, 82 percent of their rebounding, and 83.2 percent of made 3-pointers.
• Youngstown State's eight Horizon League wins tied for the second-most in school history.
• YSU had a six-game league winning streak for the first time in since 1997-98.
• YSU set the school record for most 3-pointers in a single-season with 303.
• Last year, Darius Quisenberry set YSU freshman records for most 3-pointers made (51), most free throws made (106) and most free throws attempted (133).
• Quisenberry became the first YSU freshman to earn All-Horizon League honors after being named to the all-league second-team.
• Quisenberry's 441 points were the most scored by a freshman since YSU joined the Division I ranks in 1981-82.
• Junior Naz Bohannon ranked second in the Horizon League with 8.3 rebounds per game.
• Bohannon's career average of 8.1 rebounds per game ranks second in YSU's Division I history and 10th overall.
• Sophomore Jelani Simmons set the YSU freshman record for highest 3-point field-goal percentage at .402 last season.
• Simmons also ranked fifth in the Horizon League with a .402 3-point field-goal percentage.
• Junior Garrett Covington was named to the Horizon League All-Defensive Team.
• Senior Devin Morgan led the team with 60 made 3-pointers.
About Robert Morris
Robert Morris enters the game with an overall record of 2-7. The Colonials are coming off 70-59 loss to Horizon League foe Cleveland State on Nov. 30. Robert Morris also lost to fellow league member UIC, 72-62, on Nov. 21. Leading the Colonials is Josh Williams with 12.9 points per game.
The Robert Morris Series
This is the 20th meeting between Youngstown State and Robert Morris in a series that dates back to 1989. The Colonials own an 11-8 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last two contests. In the last meeting, Robert Morris defeated Youngstown State, 76-56, in 2018. The Penguins last victory against the Colonials was a 75-74 win in Moon Township in 2016. The last time YSU beat RMU at Beeghly Center was in 2015, 65-58.
Last Time Out
Senior Donel Cathcart III scored a season-high 18 points but the Penguins dropped an 88-72 decision to Central Michigan on Nov. 30. Junior Michael Akuchie points 14 points while junior Naz Bohannon grabbed 16 rebounds.
Penguins at Home
Youngstown State has been enjoying the friendly confines of Beeghly Center. The Penguins are 3-0 at Beeghly Center. YSU is shooting 48.3 percent from the field while averaging 86.7 points and 16.7 assists per game.
The Penguins play their final road non-league game when they visit Western Michigan, Saturday, Dec. 7. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. in Kalamazoo, Mich.
A Win Would
• Give YSU its ninth win over Robert Morris.
• Mark YSU's first win over the Colonials since 2016.
• Mark YSU's first win over Robert Morris at Beeghly Center since 2015.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 149th career win and his 25th at YSU.
• Mark the 1,101st victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins a 5-4 overall record
• Mark YSU's fourth home win of the season.