Posted: Jan 10, 2020
|Youngstown State vs. Detroit Mercy|
|Date & Time||Saturday, Jan. 11 | 2 p.m. ET|
|Location||Beeghly Center | Youngstown, Ohio|
|Radio||570 WKBN |IHeart Radio|
|TV||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team plays closes out its short homestand when it hosts Detroit Mercy on Saturday, Jan. 11, at Beeghly Center.
• Tipoff is slated for 2 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN, ESPN+, and the WatchESPN App.
• Jerrod Calhoun is in his third year at Youngstown State and his eighth season overall as a head coach. The 13th head coach in program history, Calhoun owns a career mark of 154-89 overall and is 30-51 at Youngstown State. The Cleveland, Ohio, native came to YSU after spending five years at Fairmont State, where he led the Fighting Falcons to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game and a 34-3 overall record. Calhoun was named the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year and the Mountain East Conference Men's Sports Coach of the Year.
Mike Davis is in his 19th season as a college head coach and his second at Detroit Mercy. He owns a career record of 366-275 and a two-year mark of 14-34 with the Titans.
• This is the 50th meeting between Youngstown State and Detroit Mercy in a series that dates back to 1953.
• The Titans own 39-10 advantage in the all-time series and won 12 of the last 13 contests.
• Youngstown State snapped a 12-game losing streak to the Titans with a 72-70 win in Detroit last season.
• The Penguins are coming off a 61-60 win over Oakland on Jan. 9.
• Darius Quisenberry made a layup with 1.7 seconds left to lift YSU to the one-point victory.
• Michael Akuchie led the Penguins with a double-double of 20 points and 10 rebounds while Quisenberry had 15 points, including 13 in the second half.
• Youngstown State dropped its first league game with a 82-74 loss at Cleveland State on Jan. 4.
• Naz Bohannon posted his third straight double-double with a career-high 21 points and 13 rebounds. Jelani Simmons also scored a career-high with 19 points with five 3-pointers.
• Youngstown State ranks ninth nationally with 673 total rebounds and 16th nationally with 13.53 offensive rebounds per game.
• Junior Naz Bohannon ranks fifth in the nation with 4.12 offensive rebounds per game, 23rd with 157 total rebounds and 50th with 9.2 rebounds per game.
• Over the last seven games, junior Naz Bohannon is averaging 13.6 points and 10.6 rebounds per game. He has eight double-digit rebound performances this season and 24 for his career.
• Bohannon is also second in the Horizon League with 9.2 rebounds per game.
• After four Horizon League games, junior Michael Akuchie is averaging 13.0 points and 6.3 rebounds per game and has made 12-of-18 from 3-point range.
• Akuchie has made at least on 3-point in all 17 games this season and 18 straight games dating back to 2018-19.
• Youngstown State also defeated UIC, 70-64, on Dec. 30. It marked the first time in program history the Penguins opened conference play with two road victories.
• Sophomore Darius Quisenberry led the Penguins with 20 points - his fifth 20-point game of the year - and Naz Bohannon posted a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds.
• Junior Michael Akuchie also reach double figures with 10 points.
• Youngstown State opened Horizon League play with an 83-73 win over Horizon League foe IUPUI on Dec. 28.
• Sophomore Darius Quisenberry led four Penguins scoring in double figures with 23 points and six assists.
• Junior Naz Bohannon posted his second double-double of the season with 18 points and 11 rebounds, sophomore Jelani Simmons scored 12 points and junior Michael Akuchie added 11 points.
• In the non-league finale, the Penguins dropped a hard-fought 75-64 loss to No. 25 West Virginia on Dec. 21.
• Sophomore Darius Quisenberry scored a game-high 22 points while junior Garrett Covington added 11 points and junior Naz Bohannon had a game-high 13 rebounds.
• In their last non-league home game, the Penguins defeated Binghamton, 73-55, on Dec. 18.
• Junior Naz Bohannon tied a career high with 19 points.
• Bohannon also became the 15th player in school history to record at least 600 career rebounds.
The Detroit Mercy Series
This is the 50th meeting between Youngstown State and Detroit Mercy in a series that dates back to 1953. The Titans own 39-10 advantage in the all-time series and won 12 of the last 13 contests. Youngstown State snapped a 12-game losing streak to the Titans with a 72-70 win in Detroit last season. The last time YSU defeated the Titans at Beeghly Center was a 77-63 victory on Jan. 18, 2014.
About Detroit Mercy
Detroit Mercy enters the game with a 3-14 overall record and a 1-3 mark in Horizon League play. The Titans, who are 0-9 on the road this season, are coming off a pair of losses to Wright State, 70-69, on Jan. 5 and Cleveland State, 64-59, on Jan. 9. Leading the Titans is Antoine Davis with 24.3 points per game and Justin Miller with 10.2 points per contest.
Last Time Out
Sophomore Darius Quisenberry's layup with 1.7 seconds left gave the Penguins a 61-60 victory over Oakland on Jan. 9. Michael Akuchie posted the second double-double of his career with 20 points and 10 rebounds while Quisenberry scored 13 of his 15 points in the second half.
The Penguins hit the road for a pair of road games beginning with a matchup against Northern Kentucky, Thursday, Jan. 16. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. The Penguins will play five of their first seven league games away.
A Win Would
• Give YSU its 11th win over Detroit Mercy.
• Mark Youngstown State's second consecutive win over the Titans.
• Mark the Penguins first win over the Titans at Beeghly Center since 2014.
• Mark the first time in YSU's Division I history and first time since 1979-80 it started 8-0 at Beeghly Center.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 155th career win and his 31st at YSU.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's second win over Detroit Mercy.
• Mark the 1,107th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins an 11-7 overall record and a 4-1 mark in Horizon League play.
• Mark just the second time overall and first time since 2011-12 that YSU started Horizon League play 4-1.
Akuchie Success = YSU Success
Junior Michael Akuchie has scored in double figures nine times this season and the Penguins own a record of 7-2 in those games. Since the start of Horizon League play, Akuchie is averaging 13 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. He is also shooting 56.7 percent from the floor and 66.7 percent from 3-point range.
Penguins at Home
Youngstown State is currently 7-0 at Beeghly Center this season and is averaging 77.1 points per contest, shooting 45.8 percent from the field, and averaging 15.4 assists per game at home. The last time Youngstown State started 7-0 at Beeghly Center was in 1983-84.
Quisenberry Reaches 700 Career Points
With 15 points against Oakland on Jan. 9, sophomore Darius Quisenberry reached 700 career points and now has 701 through 49 games. The Springfield, Ohio, native carries a 14.3 points per game career average. Last season, Quisenberry scored 441 points as a freshman. The last sophomore to reach 700 points was Cameron Morse in his 47th game career game at the end of the 2015-16 season.