Posted: Feb 12, 2020
|Youngstown State at Detroit Mercy|
|Date & Time||Thursday, Feb. 13 | 7 p.m. ET|
|Location||Calihan Hall | Detroit, Mich.|
|Radio||570 WKBN |IHeart Radio|
|TV||ESPN+ | WatchESPN|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
- Gamenotes vs. Detroit Mercy
- Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun Press Conference
- Junior Michael Akuchie Press Conference
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team closes out the regular season with four of its last six games on the road beginning with a crucial matchup against Detroit Mercy, Thursday, Feb. 13.
• Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on 570 WKBN, ESPN+, and the WatchESPN App.
• This is the 51st meeting between Youngstown State and Detroit Mercy in a series that dates back to 1953. The Titans own a 39-11 advantage in the all-time series but the Penguins have won the last two games. Youngstown State defeated the Titans, 69-67, on Jan. 11 at Beeghly Center. The Penguins won, 72-70, in the last meeting at Calihan Hall on Feb. 2, 2019. It marked YSU's first win at Calihan Hall since 2011.
• Youngstown State is currently 11-2 in games played at Beeghly Center this season. The Penguins are averaging 78.5 points and 15.2 assists per game at their home arena this year. Since Feb. 7, 2019, Youngstown State is 15-3 in games played at Beeghly Center.
• YSU is coming off a 67-55 win over Cleveland State on Feb. 8. Sophomore Jelani Simmons scored a career-high 23 points to lead the Penguins. Darius Quisenberry had 16 points and Michael Akuchie posted his third double-double of the season with 12 points and 10 rebounds. The Penguins outscored the Vikings, 13-2, over the last three minutes of the game.
• With seven rebounds against Cleveland State, junior Naz Bohannon moved into seventh place on the YSU all-time rebounding list with 714. He needs 16 more to move into sixth place.
• The Penguins won for the 10th time at Beeghly Center on Feb. 1 when they defeated IUPUI, 91-76. Five players scored in double figures led by Darius Quisenberry's 22 points. Junior Michael Akuchie posted 15 points and nine rebounds while junior Garrett Covington had 13 points, junior Naz Bohannon scored 12 points and senior Devin Morgan had 11 points. The last time YSU won 10 games at home was in 2013-14 when it went 11-4 at Beeghly Center.
• Bohannon is also third in the Horizon League with 8.5 rebounds per game. Bohannon is averaging 13.3 points and 8.4 rebounds per game in league play. He is shooting 56.8 percent from the field and has four double-doubles against league opponents.
• With his 22 points against IUPUI on Feb. 1, sophomore Darius Quisenberry hit the 20-point plateau for the seventh time this season. YSU is now 6-1 when Quisenberry scores at least 20 points. For the first time in his career, Quisenberry has scored at least 20 points in three consecutive games. He scored 22 against West Virginia on Dec. 21, 23 against IUPUI on Dec. 28, and 20 against UIC on Dec. 30.
• With 10 rebounds against UIC on Jan. 30, junior Naz Bohannon became just the ninth player in program history to record 700 career rebounds and just the second in YSU's Division I era. He ranks seventh all-time and second in YSU's Division I era with 714 career rebounds. The last player to post 700 career rebounds was Tim Jackson, who finished with 899 between 1987-91.
• Youngstown State's game against UIC on Jan. 30, 2020, marked the first time in program history the Penguins played in three straight overtime games. The Penguins have an all-time record of 34-73.
• Over the last five games, junior Michael Akuchie is averaged a near double-double. During that span, Akuchie averaged 11.6 points and 9.4 rebounds per game and shot 46.9 percent. In league play, Akuchie is averaging 10.7 points and 7.3 rebounds per game and shooting 46.2 percent from the floor.
• As of Feb. 11, Youngstown State ranked 15th nationally with 1,000 total rebounds, fifth nationally with 14.04 offensive rebounds per game, and 19th nationally with 40.0 total rebounds per game. Junior Naz Bohannon ranked 15th in the nation with 3.8 offensive rebounds per game, and 55th with 213 total rebounds. Bohannon has nine double-digit rebound performances this season and 25 for his career.
About Detroit Mercy
Detroit Mercy enters the game with an overall record of 6-19 and a 4-8 mark in Horizon League play. The Titans have lost three straight games. Leading Detroit Mercy is Antoine Davis with 23 points per game and Justin Miller with 10.4 points per game.
Last Time vs. Detroit Mercy
Junior Naz Bohannon hit an 18-foot jump shot as the shot clock expired with 22.8 seconds left to lift the Penguins to a 69-67 win over the Titans. Sophomore Darius Quisenberry was the only YSU player to reach double figures with 16 points. The Penguins never trailed in the game and led for 37:35.
The Penguins close out their road trip at Oakland, Saturday, Feb. 15. Tipoff is slated for 3 p.m. at the O'Rena.
Last Time Out
Youngstown State won for the 11th time at Beeghly Center with a 67-55 win over Cleveland State. Sophomore Jelani Simmons scored a career-high 23 points while Darius Quisenberry had 16 points. Junior Michael Akuchie posted his third career double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds. The Penguins outscored the Vikings, 13-2, over the last three minutes of the game.
Trio Inching Toward 1,000
Three members of the men's basketball team have the potential to reach the coveted 1,000-point plateau. Sophomore Darius Quisenberry has 838 career points and needs just 162 more for 1,000. Junior Garrett Covington has 769 and needs 231 more points while junior Naz Bohannon has 720 points and needs 280 to reach 1,000.
A Win Would
• Give YSU its 12th win over the Titans.
• Give the Penguins a three-game winning streak against Detroit Mercy.
• Mark YSU's second straight win over the Titans at Calihan Hall.
• Give YSU its fourth road win and third Horizon League road victory.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 158th career win and his 34th at YSU.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's thirdd win over Detroit Mercy.
• Mark the 1,111th victory in program history.
• Give the Penguins a 15-11 overall record and an 8-5 mark in Horizon League play.
• Mark YSU's most wins in a season since 2013-14 (15).