The Youngstown State men's basketball team recently concluded one of the most historic seasons in its Division I era. The Penguins finished the campaign with an overall record 18-15 and a tied a program record for most Horizon League wins with 10-8 league mark.
The Penguins' 18 wins were the most since 2012-13 and rank tied for the fourth most in YSU's Division I history. Youngstown State went 13-3 at the Beeghly Center and set a Division I mark for most wins at home. The Penguins averaged 76.9 points and 14.6 assists per game at Beeghly Center.
For just the second time in history the Penguins accepted a Division I postseason berth to the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic the tournament was canceled.
Below is a list of team and individual accomplishments from the 2019-20 season:
- Won a Division I record 13 games at home.
- The Penguins' 18 wins are the most since 2012-13 and tied for the fourth most in Division I history.
- YSU's 17 regular season wins were the most since 2000-01 and the most since joining the Horizon League.
- The Penguins tied a school record for most Horizon League wins with 10.
- The Penguins scored 2,401 points and averaged 72.8 points per game. It marked the 11th straight season YSU has scored at least 2,000 points.
- For the 10th straight year, the Youngstown State made at least 200 3-pointers with 236 in 2019-20.
- The Penguins ranked fifth in the country with 13.8 offensive rebounds per game and their 1,288 total rebounds were the most in YSU's Division I history. YSU's 39 rebounds per game rank as the fourth most since 1981-82.
- The Penguins posted a record of 15-5 when keeping opponents under 73 points and 14-3 when opponents scored 70 points or fewer.
- Three players – Darius Quisenberry, Garrett Covington and Naz Bohannon – eclipsed the 800 career points plateau.
- Quisenberry has 990 points and needs 10 more to become the 38th player in school history to reach 1,000 career points. Covington has 848 points and needs 152 for 1,000 and Bohannon has 824 and needs 176 more to reach 1,000.
- Sophomore Darius Quisenberry was named to the NABC All-District 12 Second-Team and the All-Horizon League First-Team. He Averaged 16.6 points, 3.6 rebounds 4.2 assists and 1.5 steals per game. He also ranked fifth in the Horizon League in scoring and assists per game, fourth in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.5), sixth in field-goal percentage (.422), steals per game and free-throw percentage (.792), and 13th with 1.5 3-pointers made per game.
- He became the fourth YSU Division I player to score at least 40 points in a game and his career-high 41 points against Wright State on Feb. 20 rank as the sixth-highest single-game total.
- Quisenberry is the first player in school history to earn all-league honors in his first two seasons.
- Junior Naz Bohannon posted a career-best 11.2 points per game and averaged 8.6 rebounds per game, which ranked third in the Horizon League. He shot 51.7 percent from the field and averaged 12.9 points and 8.9 rebounds per game against Horizon League opponents.
- Bohannon's 284 rebounds were the third most in YSU's Division I history and the most since Jerome Sims had 327 in 1991-92. He also grabbed seven double-doubles on the year.
- For the second straight year, junior Garrett Covington was named to the Horizon League All-Defensive Team. He is just the third YSU player to earn consecutive all-defensive team honors.
- Covington averaged 8.5 points and 4.0 rebounds per game in 2019-20.
- Junior Michael Akuchie posted a career-best 9.0 points per game scoring average. He made a career-high 43 3-pointers and averaged 6.1 rebounds per game.
- Senior Devin Morgan made 46 3-pointers this season and had a season-high 26 points with six 3-pointers in a 98-94 overtime win over Green Bay on Jan. 25. He also had 20 points with six 3s against Oakland on Feb. 15.
- Senior Donel Cathcart had a season-high 21 points against Wright State on Jan. 18 and made a season-high four 3-pointers against Northern Kentucky on Feb. 22.