Posted: Jan 13, 2021
|Youngstown State at Oakland|
|Date & Time||Friday, Jan. 15 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Athletics Center O'Rena | Rochester, Mich.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeart Radio|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Setting the Scene
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team takes to the road for the fourth time in five weekends when it visits Oakland for a two-game series starting Friday, Jan. 15.
• Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at the Athletics Center O'Rena in Rochester, Mich.
• The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN3.
The Wright State Series Recap
• The Penguins and Raiders split a two-game series on Jan. 8-9 at the Nutter Center.
• Youngstown State won game one, 74-72, on Garrett Covington's buzzer-beating layup.
• Senior Naz Bohannon scored a game-high 28 points while Covington and senior Michael Akuchie each had 12 points.
• Wright State won game two, 93-55.
• Freshman Alex Vargo scored a career-high 16 points while freshman Myles Hunter added 13 points, which was a career-high.
A Win Would
• Give YSU its 10th win over Oakland.
• Mark YSU's first win at Oakland since 2019.
• Mark YSU's third win at the O'Rena.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun's 170th career win and his 46th at YSU.
• Mark the 1,122nd victory in program history.
• Give YSU an 8-5 overall record and a 4-5 Horizon League mark.
• Give the Penguins 4-4 road record.
The Oakland Series
• This is the 27th meeting between Youngstown State and Oakland in a series that dates back to 1999.
• Oakland leads the series, 17-9, but in the last eight contests the series is tied 4-4.
• Last season, YSU defeated Oakland, 61-60, at the Beeghly Center, and 72-64, at the Athletic Center O'Rena.
• The time the Penguins won at Oakland was a 75-74 victory on Jan. 31, 2019.
• Oakland enters the series with an overall record of 3-12 and a Horizon League mark of 3-5.
• Leading the Golden Grizzlies is Jalen Moore with 17.8 points per game.
• Rashad Williams is also averaging in double figures with 13.6 points per game and Daniel Oladapo is averaging 10.3 points per contest.
Bohannon Nets 1,000
• Senior Naz Bohannon became the 39th player in school history to score 1,000 career points after points seven points against Wright State on Jan. 9.
• Bohannon, who scored 28 points against Wright State on Jan. 8, now has 1,003 career points.
Vargo , Hunter Post Career Highs
• Freshmen Alex Vargo and Myles Hunter both posted career scoring highs in the Penguins loss to Wright State on Jan. 9.
• Vargo scored 16 points with a pair of 3-pointers and went 6-for-6 from the free-throw line.
• Hunter came off the bench and made three field-goals and went 7-for-7 from the line.
• Youngstown State will play four of its next five league series at home beginning with a two-game set against UIC, Jan. 22-23.
• Tipoff of both games is set for 5 p.m. Eastern at the Beeghly Center.