Posted: Mar 01, 2021
|Youngstown State at Oakland|
|Date & Time||Tuesday, March 2 | 7:30 p.m.|
|Location||Athletics Center O'Rena | Rochester, Mich.|
|Radio||570 WKBN | iHeart Radio|
|Live Tweets||@YSUMensHoops | @YSUSports|
|Hash Tags||#GoGuins | #HLMBB|
|Mobile App||YSU Front Row|
Setting the Scene
• The Youngstown State men's basketball team looks to continue its tournament run when it visits No. 3 Oakland in the quarterfinals of the 2021 Progressive Insurance Horizon League Men's Basketball Championship, Tuesday, March 2.
• Tipoff is set for 7:30 p.m. at the Athletics Center O'Rena in Rochester, Mich.
•The game will be broadcast on 570 WKBN and ESPN+.
Penguins in the Tournament
• Youngstown State owns an overall Horizon League Tournament record of 8-19 after a 74-58 win over UIC in the first round on Feb. 25.
• Last season, the Penguins defeated Milwaukee, 63-57, in the 2020 Horizon League Championship First Round.
• The Penguins lost to UIC, 67-61, in the quarterfinals last season.
• The previous time YSU won a game in the tournament was an 81-80 victory over Oakland to advance to the semifinals in 2017.
• The Penguins have hosted a first-round game six times and own a 5-1 record.
First Round Home Tournament Games
YSU 82, Detroit 80 - Feb. 27, 2007
UIC 73, YSU 68 - March 3, 2009
YSU 77, Green Bay 60 - March 2, 2012
YSU 62, Loyola-Chicago 60, March 5, 2013
YSU 63, Milwaukee 57, March 3, 2020
YSU 74, UIC 58, Feb. 25, 2021
Record By Tournament Round (Since 1984)
First Round (Horizon League only): 7-12
The Oakland Season Series
• Oakland swept the two-game regular-season series from the Penguins with an 82-62 win over Jan. 15 and an 81-74 victory on Jan. 16.
• Freshman Myles Hunter scored a career-high 18 points with a career-best four 3-pointers to lead YSU in scoring in game one.
• In game two, Hunter tied his career high with 18 points with four 3s.
• Covington added 16 points while Rathan-Mayes scored 15 points.
• Oakland earned the No. 3 seed in the 2021 Progressive Insurance Horizon League Men's Basketball Championship and received a bye into the quarterfinals.
• The Golden Grizzlies posted a 10-17 overall record and a 10-10 league mark.
• Leading Oakland is All-Horizon League First-Team selection Jalen Moore with 17.8 points per game.
• Rashad Williams is averaging 13.1 points per contest and Daniel Oladopo is averaging 12.8 points and 8.8 rebounds per game.
• With a win and wins by the other higher seeds, the Penguins would face No. 1 Cleveland State in the semifinals on Monday, March 8, in Indianapolis, Ind.
• Cleveland State earned the No. 1 seed with an overall record of 16-7 and 16-4 in league play.